9 Must have skills to be a technical support expert
In the technological and digital era, professionals with knowledge and skills in technical support are among the most in-demand in the workplace. And is that all companies, large or small, public or private, regardless of their activities, require equipment maintenance services, information processing in the digital environment, and development of systems that simplify their processes, among others.
Technical support is one of the areas of computing that provides assistance and solutions to users or companies in software, hardware, and cybersecurity.
Yes, as indicated by the Information Technology Industry Association ( CompTIA ), the non-profit organization dedicated to certifying the knowledge and skills of professionals in this area, technical support is far beyond computer repair.
Master the 9 Must have skills to be a technical support expert and start a career in technical support
Why are experts in this area so in demand? Easy! Technology is everywhere: health, transportation, telecommunications, finance, and even in our homes.
Additionally, the term ‘Internet of Things ( IoT ) is currently very relevant, which consists of the fact that more and more devices -because we are no longer talking only about computers and cell phones- are connected to the network for what experts are required to provide support in this regard.
But this is not all; in the business field, it is estimated that organizations invest around 40% of their capital in technical support services (in any of their types ) and what is better: by 2020, global investment in IT services will be of US$733.9 billion.
So, if you are attracted to the world of software, hardware, and cybersecurity, and you want to study a career with excellent job and economic prospects, technical support is undoubtedly an excellent option for you.
Experts in this area not only have the opportunity to opt for employment positions within the areas of information technology and security of organizations, but they can also aspire to work independently through the provision of support services to small, medium-sized, and large companies.
But to succeed in this career, whether as an employee or as a freelancer, you must ensure that you acquire the necessary knowledge and skills, obtain credible certifications, and be constantly learning as technology is constantly evolving.
Knowledge and skills required for technical support:
Technicians in this area must have the ability to install software systems, design and execute hardware maintenance plans, analyze computer systems, operate databases, and implement and maintain networks, among others.
According to CompTIA, technical support experts must have knowledge and skills in 9 areas:
- Hardware: Identify hardware components and devices, as well as understand their uses and connections.
- Windows operating systems: Know the Windows OS installation and support processes, including command lines and user assistance.
- Software troubleshooting: Know how to troubleshoot computers and mobile devices, including application security support.
- Networks: Know the different types of networks and LAN and WAN connections.
- Hardware and networks: Have the knowledge to solve problems of devices and networks.
- Security: Protect systems and equipment against security vulnerabilities.
- Mobile Devices: Knowledge and ability to install and configure mobile devices.
- Other operating systems and technologies: Know and understand the operation of the operating systems Mac OS, Linux and iOs, and Android.
- Operational processes: Follow the best practices of security, environmental impacts, communication, and professionalism.
CompTIA A+ Certification
As we told you a few moments ago, advances in technology are constant; therefore, technical support experts must keep up to date.
CompTIA is an organization that delivers internationally valid credential that certifies knowledge and skills for technical support and IT operational roles.
The CompTIA A+ is the certification that validates if a person is competent as a computer technician. To obtain it, it is required to pass two tests that together cover the topics of configuration and support of hardware for PCs, mobile devices, and IoT, operating systems, and management of client-based and cloud software, among other topics.
The exams are conducted on computers and consist of multiple-choice questions, more than one of which may be the correct answer.
Five Steps to CompTIA Certification in Help Desk
If you want to become a technical support expert and obtain your CompTIA certification, these are the steps you must follow:
- Get trained: Register for our 100% online Technical Support course and acquire the necessary knowledge about software, hardware, cybersecurity, and more.
- Choose the CompTIA certification you want to receive: CompTIA certifications range from hardware and software to advanced skills in IT security and cybersecurity. Define in which area you specifically want to certify yourself. In CompTIA Career Pathway and CompTIA Career Roadmap, you can obtain information that will help you make the decision.
- Familiarize yourself with the certification exam: Before you begin the certification process, make sure you understand the overview of the CompTIA exam content. A great way to do this is to download and study the exam objectives and practice questions.
- Consult Other Technicians: Visit the online communities on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Reddit to see what others are saying about CompTIA exams.
- Register and take your exam: When you have learned the skills and knowledge that certification requires, it is time to take the exam. At CompTIA Testing, you can get information on how to schedule your exam and what to expect before, during, and after.
What skills are needed for technical support?
Technical support is a job that requires patience and the ability to communicate with customers in their language. Technical support professionals need to have specific skills and knowledge to be able to provide the best customer service possible. They need to know how the product works, how it can be used, and what solutions are available when problems arise. They also need good communication skills to help non-technical people understand technical concepts.
A lot of the time, technical support representatives are employed in call centers, where they answer customer questions via telephone and provide support such as helpdesk. An example of a job in this industry is answering customer calls with a computer or other technical problems. Technical support jobs typically require typical office and desk work and on-call time, often requiring long hours to complete customer service and product management tasks.
Technical support can also be done remotely via a chat or voice call. Depending on the level of work, companies may provide their technical support staff with information about product features and how to use them. If a company is outsourcing its technical support, the client will likely have to provide the team with this information and make sure that they are using the product correctly. Many of these jobs are done in call centers where employees answer customer questions on the phone and in online chat.
Do you want to know more about technical support?
Once you study and pass the exam, you will know the following:
- Know techniques for the assembly, maintenance, support, and optimization of equipment.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and properly document common software and hardware problems.
- Handle the fundamental concepts of networks and computer security.
- Install, configure, and maintain hardware and software items for different users.
Prepare to take and pass the CompTIA A+ exam. Become a Technical Support expert!
Meet King Malik, a seasoned entrepreneur with a diverse background in both IT and retail. With a degree in computer science and years of experience in the tech industry, King brings a unique blend of technical expertise and business acumen to the table. In addition to his successful IT career, King has owned and operated several successful retail businesses, giving him a well-rounded understanding of what it takes to run a successful enterprise.
Whether developing cutting-edge software or managing a bustling storefront, King has the skills and experience to make it happen. With a passion for innovation and a drive to succeed, there’s no challenge he can’t tackle.